219 West 49th Street, New York City
Architect: Herbert J. Krapp
Owned by Shubert Organization
Capacity: 1,108 to 1,155
Opened: February 11, 1921
The Ambassador Theatre is a legitimate Broadway theatre located at 219 West 49th Street in midtown-Manhattan.
Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp for the Shuberts, the structure is unusual in that it is situated diagonally on
its site to fit the maximum number of seats possible. Its external appearance, indistinguishable from many other
Broadway houses, does not hint at the strange layout within. The building has been designated a New York City landmark.
The Dumbells troupe outside the Ambassador theatre in New York City,
where their show
Biff, Bing, Bang
was a smash hit in 1921
(From Library and Archives, Canada; Toronto and Graduate Centre for Study of Drama, University of Toronto, c1980-1991. -- Vol. 4 No. 2 Fall 1983 -- © Public Domain
The theatre opened on February 11, 1921 with the musical
The Rose Girl
. The Shuberts sold the property in 1935,
and for the next two decades it was used as a movie theater and television studio for NBC and the DuMont Television
Network. In 1956 the Shuberts assumed ownership again and returned it to strictly legitimate use.
Interior, ceiling and chandelier detail
Programs available onsite from this theatre:
Back to Methuselah
Return to Index of Theatres