545 Washington Street / Boston
- (L) 1884 production of "Iolanthe" on the Bijou stage - (R) The projection room as the theatre converts to film -
The Bijou Theatre (1882-1943) in Boston, Massachusetts, occupied the second floor of 545 Washington Street near today's Theatre District. Architect George Wetherell designed the space, described by a contemporary reviewer as "dainty." Proprietors included Edward Hastings, George Tyler, and B.F. Keith. Around the 1900s, it featured a "staircase of heavy glass under which flowed an illuminated waterfall."
- (L) Map showing the location of the Bijou Theatre - (R) November 20, 1915 newspaper clipping -
The Bijou closed December 31, 1943 and was razed in 1951.
The building's facade still exists.
Programs available from this theatre:
The Lancers (1883)
Return to Index of Theatres