Sam S. Shubert Theatre
225 West 44th Street / NYC
225 West 44th Street in midtown-Manhattan / New York City
Designed by architect Henry Beaumont Herts, this theatre was named for Sam S. Shubert,
the second oldest of the three brothers of the theatrical producing family.
It shares a Venetian Renaissance facade with the adjoining Booth Theatre, which was constructed at the same time.
Although the two have distinctly different interiors. The two theatres are connected by a private road/sidewalk, "Shubert Alley". It opened on 21 October 1913 with a series of Shakespearean plays, including Othello, Hamlet, and The Merchant of Venice, staged by the Forbes-Robertson Repertory Company.
(from Shubert Alley / 2007)
The theatre's longest tenant was A Chorus Line, which ran for 6,137 performances from 1975 to 1990 and set the record for longest running show in Broadway history. Later long runs have included Crazy for You (1992–1996), Chicago (1996–2003), Spamalot (2005–2009) and Memphis (2009–).
The top floor of the building houses the offices of the Shubert Organization.
The theatre's auditorium and murals were restored in 1996, and it has been designated a New York City landmark.
(from 44th St. / 2007)
Programs available from this theatre:
Amphitryon-38 / 1938